Sunday, July 11, 2010

Viva Espana!!

Victory for the Spanish! Yes!! Well deserved. Spain watched their World Cup victory materialize today after a 1-0 victory over the Netherlands. The winning goal was delivered in the 116th minute by Andres Iniesta, the Barcelona saviour, who's shot was layed up by sexy Cesc Fabregas and I dare say even Fernando Torres.

The Spanish today have made me proud to be an ardent supporter, and to the many who got us to the finals and victory, thanks. Since I don't have a word limit, I'll go ahead and name them. Thanks to Casillas, Busquets, Xavi, Xabi, Pique, David Villa, Pedro, Ramos, Capdavilla and Carles Puyol. You guys really are a remarkable team! European and World champions! and may I say deservedly so!

Special congrats to David Villa for his 5 well needed goals, to Puyol for that critical, lone goal in the semi finals against Germany, Xavi Hernandez for completing the most passes of the tournament and Casillas for being a rocking captain and bad ass goal keeper, stopping shots like a machine. It was the wonderful touch, pass football which brought you and your Spanish supporters gold. I'm not taking anything from the other players, without whom, victory may just have slipped away. After all, it was the team who won.

While I am so caught up and pleased with Spain, 2 other special congratulatory comments are in order. Congratulations to Diego Forlan of Uruguay for getting the golden ball for being the player of the tournament. Diego, it was well deserved, you were my player of the tournament with your crazy goal scoring abilities and you sportsmanship. The other accolade goes out to Thomas Mueller of Germany. Well played Mueller! You deserve the golden boot for the 5 goals you scored. Best wishes in your sure to be wonderful, lengthy career, after all you are only 20.

So I know this is a food blog, but I believe in variety. Hats off the South Africa for the vuvuleza (I love them) and an excellent World Cup. Congrats to Spain! Espana! And see you guys 4 years time in Brazil for truly the greatest show on earth.


Lisa Rhooms

No comments:

Post a Comment